Robert Hammond Patrick Jr.
Robert Hammond Patrick Jr. was born on November 5, 1958. He is an American actor, perhaps best known for his portrayals of villainous characters. He is a Saturn Award winner with four nominations.
Patrick dropped out of college when drama class sparked his interest in acting, and entered film in 1986. After playing a supporting role in Die Hard 2 (1990), Patrick starred as the T-1000, the main antagonist of Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) – a role he reprised for cameo appearances in Wayne’s World (1992) and Last Action Hero (1993).
Other notable film credits include Fire in the Sky (1993), Striptease (1996), Cop Land (1997), The Faculty (1998), Spy Kids (2001), Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle (2003), Ladder 49 (2004), Walk the Line (2005), Flags of Our Fathers (2006), We Are Marshall (2006), Bridge to Terabithia (2007), The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009), and Safe House (2012).
In television, Patrick is known for his portrayals of FBI Special Agent John Doggett in The X-Files and Colonel Tom Ryan in The Unit,
and has played ongoing roles in series such as The Outer Limits, The Sopranos, Elvis, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Burn Notice, Last Resort,
Sons of Anarchy and From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series. In 2014 he was cast in the role of DHS agent Cabe Gallo in the CBS drama series Scorpion. He was also guest host on season two of GunnyTime.
AllMovie journalist Tracie Cooper wrote that, by the conclusion of The X-Files in 2002, Patrick had developed a “solid reputation within the industry”, with critics, fans and co-stars alike praising his “work ethic, personality, and consistent performances.” He was described by actor and director Jason Bateman as “one of the great heavies.”
Patrick was born in Marietta, Georgia, the oldest of five children born to Nadine and Robert Patrick Sr. Patrick is of Scottish-Irish ancestry Irish ancestry. His siblings are Richard Patrick (who is the lead singer for the rock band Filter), Cheri, Karen and Lewis.
Growing up in Ohio
He spent his early life in Bay Village, a small suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. Patrick did not start to pursue an acting career until his mid-twenties. During his childhood years, Patrick did not like to act. In third grade, he refused to wear a pair of green tights required for Peter Pan. He graduated from Farmington High School in Farmington, Michigan in 1977. Patrick was a track and field and football athlete at Bowling Green State University He dropped out before graduating when he found interest in Drama and acting.
After leaving college, Patrick secured a position as a house painter and continued as such until a boating accident in 1984 in Lake Erie. He swam for three hours in order to save the others still stranded on the accident site, nearly drowning in the attempt. After the accident, he moved from Ohio to Los Angeles, California, at age 26.
His main income during the first years was as a bartender, and he often lived in his car. Patrick was then picked up for various small roles and cameos in low-budget films. Looking back, Patrick credited his early appearances in films to his “tough-looking exterior”.
Patrick made a short appearance in Die Hard 2 as a bit part henchman for Colonel Stuart before landing a role in Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) as the main villain, the T-1000; it was his first starring role. James Cameron, the film’s director, said he chose Patrick for the role because of his physical appearance, which he felt fit the role. During the filming of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Patrick was “broke”, living in a cheap apartment with his girlfriend, Barbara, whom he married during filming. He has credited the film with starting his career.
Life After Terminator
After Terminator 2, Patrick landed roles in various feature films such as Last Action Hero, Fire in the Sky (both 1993) and Striptease (1996). Because of his fondness for martial arts, Patrick starred in two martial arts films titled Double Dragon and Hong Kong 97, both released in 1994. His performance in Fire in the Sky led The X-Files creator Chris Carter to cast him in that series for the role of John Doggett. Patrick’s brother, Richard, had previously worked for the series by adding music for the soundtrack album The X-Files: The Album. Patrick was cast as Doggett in 2000. The X-Files was canceled two seasons later, after Duchovny left the show following season 7, which resulted in low ratings for the show. Patrick made several appearances on many genre magazines, with TV Guide going so far as to label him one of the Ten Sexiest Men of Sci-Fi.
In 2000, Patrick appeared in three episodes of The Sopranos (“The Happy Wanderer”, “Bust Out” and “Funhouse”) as David Scatino, a store owner struggling with gambling debts owed to Richie Aprile and Tony Soprano. Four years later, he made a guest appearance in the pilot episodes for Sci-Fi Channel’s original series Stargate Atlantis, “Rising”, as the military component commander of the Atlantis expedition, Marshall Sumner. He accepted the role, since he had worked with the same crew on The Outer Limits, a series which he appeared in during the early 1990s.
Patrick played Johnny Cash’s father, Ray Cash, in the film Walk the Line and Elvis’s father, Vernon Presley in the miniseries Elvis. He had a regular role on The Unit, and played Elvis Presley in Lonely Street (2009). In October 2006, he starred in the WWE Films production The Marine as Rome. He also appeared in We Are Marshall as Marshall University head coach Rick Tolley, who lost his life when Southern Airways Flight 932 crashed in 1970.
His credits also include a guest starring role in the Lost episode “Outlaws”, as well as a recurring role as the voice of Master Piandao in Season 3 of the Nickelodeon animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender. Patrick played a supporting role in Firewall, a 2006 action movie starring Harrison Ford.
Music Video Work
He has also appeared in Meat Loaf’s music video “Objects in the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer than They Are” with Will Estes. Director McG, who directed Terminator Salvation, said that he wanted to reintroduce characters from the previous Terminator films: “I like the idea and the perspective for the next picture that you meet Robert Patrick the way he looks today, and he’s a scientist that’s working on, you know, improving cell replication so we can stay healthier and we can cure diabetes and do all these things that sound like good ideas, and to once again live as idealized expressions as ourselves.”
Patrick also starred in the psychological thriller The Black Water of Echo’s Pond, which was directed by Italian filmmaker Gabriel Bologna. In recent years, he has appeared in such television series as Burn Notice, NCIS and True Blood, among others. From 2012 to 2013, he also starred in Last Resort as Chief of the Boat Joseph Prosser. He played a supporting character in Identity Thief (2013). From 2014 to 2016, he starred in Robert Rodriguez’s From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series as Jacob Fuller. He also played Agent Cabe Gallo on the CBS drama series Scorpion from 2014 to 2018.
On March 28, 2017, Patrick was cast in upcoming Amazon Video horror anthology series Lore, which is based on the award-winning and critically acclaimed podcast of the same name. Lore recounts true stories of frightening and paranormal occurrences. Lore premiered on October 13, 2017, and has recently been renewed for a second season.
Patrick married actress Barbara Hooper during the filming of Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). Patrick and Barbara have appeared together in various media releases such as Zero Tolerance and The X-Files.
He has two children, a son, Samuel, and a daughter, Austin (named after the police officer the T-1000 impersonates in Terminator 2).
Almost every year, he does the Love Ride, a charity motorcycle ride held annually in Southern California.
His brother is Richard Patrick, former guitarist of Nine Inch Nails and lead singer of the rock bands Filter and Army of Anyone. On October 22, 2010, the brothers sang guest vocals on the Filter song “So I Quit” on stage in Dallas, Texas. Patrick is a devout Christian, of the Episcopalian denomination.
Robert Patrick is a member of the Boozefighters motorcycle club.
Year Title Role Notes
- 1986 Eye of the Eagle Johnny Ransom
- Equalizer 2000 Deke
- Future Hunters Slade
- 1987 Killer Instinct Johnny Ransom
- Warlords from Hell
- 1989 Hollywood Boulevard II Cameraman
- 1990 Die Hard 2 O’Reilly
- 1991 Terminator 2: Judgment Day T-1000
- 1992 Wayne’s World Cameo
- Broken Cop Uncredited
- 1993 Fire in the Sky Mike Rogers
- Last Action Hero T-1000 Brief non-speaking cameo
- 1994 Double Dragon Koga Shuko
- The Cool Surface Jarvis Scott Writer
- Body Shot Mickey Dane
- Hong Kong 97 Reginald Cameron
- 1995 Zero Tolerance Jeff Douglas
- Decoy Jack Travis
- 1996 T2 3-D: Battle Across Time T-1000 Universal Studios attraction
- Striptease Darrell Grant
- 1997 Cop Land Officer Jack Rucker
- Rosewood Fanny’s Lover
- Hacks Goatee
- The Only Thrill Tom McHenry
- Asylum Nicholas Tordone
- 1998 The Vivero Letter James Wheeler
- Ambushed Shannon Herrold
- Renegade Force Jake McInroy
- The Faculty Coach Joe Willis
- 1999 From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money Buck Direct-to-video
- A Texas Funeral Zach
- Shogun Cop Detective
- Tactical Assault Colonel Lee Banning
- 2000 Mexico City Ambassador Mills
- All the Pretty Horses Cole
- 2001 Spy Kids Mr. Lisp
- Texas Rangers Sgt. John Armstrong
- BackFlash Ray Bennet
- Angels Don’t Sleep Here Detective Russell Stark
- 2002 Out of These Rooms John Michael
- Pavement Samuel Brown
- The Hire: Ticker FBI Agent Short film
- D-Tox Peter Noah
- 2003 Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle Ray Carter
- 2004 Ladder 49 Lenny Richter
- 2005 Supercross Earl Cole
- Walk the Line Ray Cash
- The Fix Shay Riley
- 2006 Firewall Gary Mitchell
- The Marine Rome
- Flags of Our Fathers Colonel Chandler Johnson
- We Are Marshall Head Coach Rick Tolley Uncredited
- 2007 Bridge to Terabithia Jack Aarons
- Balls of Fury Sgt. Pete Daytona
- 2008 Fly Me to the Moon Louie Voice
- Strange Wilderness Gus Hayden
- 2008 Autopsy Dr. David Benway
- Alien Trespass Vernon
- Lonely Street Mr. Aaron
- The Black Waters of Echo’s Pond Pete
- The Men Who Stare at Goats Todd Nixon
- 2010 Five Minarets in New York Becker
- The Wrath of Cain Warden Dean
- 2011 S.W.A.T.: Fire Fight Walter Hatch
- Red Faction: Origins Alec Mason
- Good Day for It Luke Cain
- 2012 Safe House Daniel Kiefer
- Trouble with the Curve Vince
- Jayne Mansfield’s Car Jimbo Caldwell
- Mafia Jules Dupree
- 2013 Gangster Squad Max Kennard
- Lovelace John Boreman
- Identity Thief Skiptracer
- 2014 Endless Love Harry Elliot
- Kill the Messenger Ronald J. Quail
- The Road Within Robert
- Ask Me Anything Doug Kampenfelt
- 2015 Lost After Dark Mr. C
- Hellions Corman
- Hollywood Adventures Studio Guard #1 Chinese film
- 2017 Eloise Dr. H.H. Greiss
- Last Rampage Gary Tison
- 2018 Back Roads Chief Mansour
- TBA The Poison Rose Chief Walsh
- The Laundromat Captain Perry Post-production
- Honest Thief Filming
Year Title Role Notes
- 1989 The New Lassie Russ Episode: “Once Upon a Time…”
- 1992 Tales from the Crypt Lothar Episode: “The New Arrival”
- 1993 SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron Dr. Lieter Greenbox Voice
- Episode: “Chaos in Crystal”
- 1995 Body Language Delbert Radley Television film
- 1995–1996 The Outer Limits Major John Stokes Guest role; 2 episodes
- 1996–1997 The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest Roger T. “Race” Bannon/Additional voices Main role; 24 episodes
- 1996 Superman: The Animated Series LeBeau Voice
- Episode: “Feeding Time”
- 1997 Rag and Bone Sgt. Daniel Ryan Television film
- 1998 Perfect Assassins Leo Benita Television film
- 1999 The Angry Beavers Wingnut Voice
- Episode: “Mistaken Identity/Easy Peasy Rider”
- 2000 The Sopranos David Scatino Guest role; 3 episodes
- Batman Beyond Richard Armacost Voice
- Episode: “Big Time”
- 2000–2002 The X-Files John Doggett Main role; 41 episodes
- 2003 1st to Die Nicholas Jenks Television film
- 2004 Bad Apple Colonel Tom Ryanmy “Bells” Bellavita Television film
- Stargate Atlantis Colonel Marshall Sumner Episode: “Rising”
- 2005 Lost Hibbs Episode: “Outlaws”
- Duck Dodgers J. Edgar Ashcan/Prisoner Voice
- Episode: “Of Course You Know, This Means War and Peace: Part I”
- Elvis Vernon Presley Miniseries
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit Ray Schenkel Episode: “Demons”
- 2006 Ben 10 Phil/Rookie Voice
- Episode: “Truth”
- 2006–2009 The Unit Colonel Tom Ryan Main role; 69 episodes
- 2006–2009 Disorderly Conduct: Video on Patrol Narrator Voice
- 2007–2008 Avatar: The Last Airbender Piandao Voice
- 2008 The Batman Hawkman/Katar Hol Voice
- 2009 Hell’s Kitchen Himself Red guest diner; Season 5 Episode 8: “9 Chefs Compete”
- American Dad! Stranger Episode: “In Country…Club
- NCIS Col. Merton Bell Episode: “Outlaws and In-Laws”
- 2010 Psych Major General Felts Episode: “You Can’t Handle This Episode”
- Chuck Colonel Keller Episode: “Chuck Versus the Tic Tac”
- Burn Notice John Barrett Guest role; 2 episodes
- 2011 Big Love Bud Mayberry Guest role; 2 episodes
- 2012–2014 True Blood Jackson Herveaux Main role; 12 episodes
- 2012 Last Resort Command Master Chief Petty Officer Joseph Prosser Main role; 13 episodes
- 2013–2014 Sons of Anarchy President Les Packer Guest role; 2 episodes
- 2014 Community Head of Parking Waldron Episode: “Analysis of Cork-Based Networking”
- From Dusk till Dawn: The Series Jacob Fuller Main cast (season 1); 10 episodes
- 2014–2018 Scorpion Agent Cabe Gallo Main role; 93 episodes
- 2017 Lore Reverend Eliakim Phelps Episode: “Passing Notes”
- 2018 Mayans M.C. SOA President Les Packer Episode “Perro/Oc“
Year Title Role Notes
- 1992 Terminator 2: Judgment Day T-1000 Voice
- 1995 The Dig Commander Boston Low Voice
- 2005 The Outfit Deuce Williams Voice
- 2013 LocoCycle S.P.I.K.E. Voice
- 2014 Elite: Dangerous Zachary Hudson Voice
Awards and nominations
Year Award Category Work Result
- 1992 MTV Movie Awards Best Villain Terminator 2: Judgment Day Nominated
- 1992 Saturn Awards Best Supporting Actor Terminator 2: Judgment Day Nominated
- 1994 Saturn Awards Best Actor Fire in the Sky Nominated
- 2001 Saturn Awards Best Actor on Television The X-Files Won
- 2002 Saturn Awards Best Actor on Television The X-Files Nominated
- 2005 Jury Awards Best Actor The Fix Won
Check back here each week for Mayans MC, and Sons of Anarchy, bio’s, recaps, news and spoilers. Again, please join my Facebook group Mayans MC Fan Group and “Like” my Facebook Page Mayans MC Fan Group Page … See you there for great chats and discussion about episodes!